Sunday, November 15, 2009

November Challenge days 13, 14 & 15...meal plan Monday

I shouldn't complain that my husband is ridiculously busy with work...I should just be grateful that he has a job...it's still hard to have him gone way too much. And come dinner time (when he is still working), it sure would be easier to go and grab Lil D and I a bite, then make dinner at home...but I have been strong...and we have done fine!

Friday: frozen pizza for lunch (sorry, I've been craving "fast" greasy food...this worked and I didn't cheat).  For dinner: a replay of lasagna burgers...still good!

Saturday: I ditched the boys for a few hours and they had to fend for themselves (I believe cheesy tacos made the lunch menu)...I had a soda for lunch:).  Dinner...(husband was at work) so Lil D had chicken nuggets and I made reuben egg rolls (boiled hot dogs).  They were good....good enough to use up the rest of the pastrami for....

Sunday lunch: reuben egg rolls (leftovers all gone:)

Sunday dinner: crock pot rotissere chicken from A Year of Slow Cooking. I LOVE the idea of making my own at home...but here are my issues:  I bought my whole chicken for $4...that's only $.99 cheaper then the delicious Costco version.  It took me about 15 minutes to "skin" the thing...and even though it doesn't gross me out...it still was a pain.  That alone makes me think I will only do the Costco version in the future.  Okay...I'm sure I will try it again...but only because the seasoning was too strong and not my favorite, so I want to tweak it and make it delicious.  The last thing...the recipe says to cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5...stating the longer you cook the more tender it becomes.  Note to all those who try it...8 hours on low is as long as you should go.  I checked it around 7 1/2 hours and it was perfectly juicy and good...we were waiting for Mr. T to get home from work, so I thought it would be fine going longer...WRONG...by the time he got home, it had gone for nearly 9 hours and was D-R-Y...even the dark meat.  But...I will probably try it again...and I'll let you know how it goes!

2 weeks down...2 weeks to go.

Here's what's for dinner this week:

Monday: spinach chicken bake with pepper jack cheese
Tuesday: our lovely neighbors are cooking for us
Wednesday: Reuben sandwiches and sweet potato fries (they were just so good)
Thursday: Homemade Pizza
Friday: Pineapple sirloin skewers
Saturday: Crock pot creamy chicken and rice (recipe from my cousin Hydi)

I'm linking to Meal Plan Monday

2 comments:

Jaymerz said...

I like the rotisserie chickens at Sam's club too. but sometimes I can find the chicken on sale so I have some in the freezer. I take mine once it is thawed, rinse it off really good and then spray it with olive oil spray and then cover it with lowerys seasoning salt. In the bottom of the crock pot put a bunch of aluminum foil balls and then set your chicken on top. Cook on high for 4 hours and it is yummy. Don't know if that is what you did but it works for us.

Jamie Bailey said...

I say go with the Costco chicken...

Related Posts with Thumbnails