Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I DID IT!!!!

Remember this challenge I started on November 1st...

That crazy idea I had to not eat out for a month...

I DID IT!!!!!

Literally....for 30 solid days, every meal that I put in my mouth came from my home. Every breakfast, lunch and dinner I prepared with my own 2 hands. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE to cook...LOVE....but I also LOVE to eat out...LOVE...

Want to know what I missed about not eating out?

-Costco pizza for 1.50
-Lil D eating his lunch during the errands, so I could kill 2 birds with one stone (lunch and errands:)
-hamburgers and fries (sorry kids...I LOVE THEM)
-did I mention Costco pizza?:)

***that's really all...it wasn't that big a deal.

Want to know what I learned about not eating out?

-leftovers aren't that bad to eat "leftover"
-I waste a whole lot less food when I eat those leftovers for lunch
-I eat less.
-you can actually have 30 different meals (no repeats) in a month
-there ARE more dishes to do (bless my dishwasher...and the thing that automatically washes my dishes.)
-you can lose a few pounds
-there is more to feed a child for lunch then chicken and fries
-I spend a whole lot less money on food (I can neither confirm nor deny if there was an increase in spending on craft items...this will be discussed during a challenge taking place in 2010)
-Lil D can lose the habit of requesting to go to a restaurant for every meal (yep, he's 2)
-It's fun to challenge yourself and win!

(I will make a few admissions...I did obtain fountain sodas from convenience stores on a few occasions, my loving sister did buy me a Starbucks hot cocoa and an In N Out chocolate shake on another occasion...but as all of these are beverages and did not amount to a "meal" it doesn't count as cheating!!!)

I am glad this month is over....no...I am not going back to my old ways....but I do miss being able to go out with friends to chat over food...so if you are up for a dinner date...give me a call!

By the way, my last guest is flying home tomorrow....and since no one ate out while at my home over this past week...I've decided that I would treat her to brunch OUT at one of her favorite bakeries here in UT. Then we are on to these meals for the rest of the week (and a few we already ate)! Still trying to use up the rest of the leftovers...are you?

Sunday: tri-tip with baked potatoes and salad (by request of my brother)
Monday: hot turkey sandwiches and leftover mashed potatoes turned into cheesy-green onion deliciousness and the remainder of the cranberry sauce.
Tuesday: Quiche (using up leftover breakfast items from the families visit...and I will be making my own crust from scratch) and hash browns (with the left over baked potatoes)
Wednesday: Turkey Soup and rolls (more leftovers)
Thursday: homemade pizza pockets
Friday: I think we will go out for dinner (haven't said that in a few weeks)
Saturday: Ward Christmas Party and I'm making cream cheese soup (with the rest of the uncooked potatoes from Sunday).



2 comments:

2sisters said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Good for you!!! You have inspired me to try and eat out less. Thanks!!!
teri

Unguren said...

Well done! While you have not eaten out at all I think we have eaten out more this month than any other. Still not sure how that happened...

Related Posts with Thumbnails