Sunday, January 24, 2010

Little girl birthday present...

Lil D was officially invited to his first birthday party this past Saturday...his "girlfriend" Kate turned 4 (yep, she's an older lady) and was having a little gathering of friends. Lil D LOVES Kate...He actually says, "I love Kate"...he tells me he misses her all the time...and when they get together they play so well together it's just awesome. A few months ago some friends of ours had Lil D for a quick minute...when they brought him back they asked him, "Lil D, what do you say when you see a cute girl?" to which Lil D replied, "Oh baby!". So...a few weeks later, we were driving and Lil D said this..."Mom, when I see a cute girl I say oh baby...Kate is a cute girl...I say oh baby to Kate"...yep, that's my not quite 3 year-old for you...love it....

Okay...so Kate had a party...sadly, Lil D got croup and couldn't go...I am still so sad that he couldn't attend...he would have had such a good time:( However...the present was already started so I finished it and dropped it off...Kate was sad too and saved a cupcake for him...have I mentioned that I am already planning their wedding....

For her birthday present, I made another set of these...I don't have saved up empty make-up containers (just don't go through it much)...so I buy my make-up at the dollar store and then just clean them out...I'm okay spending $3.00 on makeup that I am going to wash out...it's the container I want and $1 containers are cheap. I also got the chapstick at the dollar store. The nail polish was left over from the last 2 sets I made...

I wanted to make a more girly bag this time because Kate is fully girly...
I had NO idea what I was doing when I started and really just winged the whole thing...even had to pull out the seam ripper a few times...but...
this is what I came up with...

I rounded up my pink fabric (I don't have much seeing how my only child is male)

I wanted to try making ruffles since they are EVERYWHERE and I just adore them.

I cut one of the fabrics into as long as strips as I had and did the baste stitch pull the thread thing.
(great tutorial here).

I then took another fabric that was already a rectangle, so I didn't have to cut it. I think it was half of a fat quarter.

I sewed on 3 ruffles towards the top of the rectangle. Then I cut another fabric the same size as the first rectangle (for my liner)...put right sides together and stitched all the way around, leaving a small opening to pull it right side out (then stitched that closed).

I then folded the whole thing in half (with the ruffles on the inside and stitched down both sides.

Then turned it right side out...there's my bag!

I decided that I would do button holes around the top to weave a ribbon through so the bag could be carried and "closed". I chose a button just bigger then the width of my ribbon.

Then I made a button hole on scrap fabric. One so I could practice...this being the second button hole I have ever made and also to be able to place my holes perfectly on my bag (didn't really want to mess up on my finished bag).

I marked where each button should go (4 on the front and 4 on back)

Then did my button holes...

I cut 2 ribbons (to your desired length)
and weaved each ribbon through 4 holes (2 on front and 2 on back)
creating a handle as well as a pull to close.

I tied a knot on the side to keep the ribbon/handle in place and left the ribbon LONG for some added girlyness.



I just loved how it turned out.

I learned a few things...I need to pin my ruffles down with more pins before I stitch them on. I would probably make the next bag in satin and maybe put a name or initials somewhere on the bag. This is what you get when you make it the night before the party and use only what you have in your drawers...with no plan at all!

Total cost of this gift:

3 make-up containers and chap-stick from the dollar store-$4.00
1 additional fingernail polish (for the foundation)-$1.50
other color nail polishes (had from previous gifts)
fabric and ribbon (had in my stash)

Total cost: $5.50....LOVE it!

And if case you care...Kate LOVED it too...so much that she brought it to church today!

I'm linkin' to...








10 comments:

Unguren said...

That is awesome. And very girly.

2sisters said...

What a darling gift idea. I wish I had known about this when my daughter was little, but now I know what to do for my sons "girlfriends". Thanks!
teri

Jennifer Juniper said...

It turned out SUPER cute! I love the ruffles and the pink - I don't have any pink either!

One Cheap B*tch said...

What an adorable gift for a special little lady!

Darija said...

what a sweet gift for a girly girl. I love it. Lucky for me our extended family is blessed with several girls so I get the opportunity to do fun crafts in pink.

::cottage instincts:: said...

How cute is that? I bet she'll love it! What little (or big) girl wouldn't want a pink makeup bag?!

Glad you could Mi4M :)

Crystal said...

This is a great gift idea. I did this quite a few times, when my daughter went to birthday parties. Except, I bought the purse at the dollar store too :) I really like this idea better.

Have a blessed day!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

very very cute idea!

Frugal Home Designs said...

So cute! What a great gift.

Its So Very Cheri said...

That came out adorable and I love that he got his first B'day invite...

FYI-my fun give-a-way starts tonight

Cheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails