Sunday, March 14, 2010

Meal Plan Monday

Friday night we had our cousin dinner...it was a lot of fun! I ended up going with a Mexican style meal...enchiladas with chips and salsa and guacamole and black bean salsa. I love meals that are easy to make...make a good quantity...and you can make lots of stuff ahead of time.
Lil D was a huge help (and I am using no sarcasm here...he was the best little sous chef ever).

and the cutest little taste tester...
(this kid LOVES to dip...and heat...he laughs at heat)

Here are a few recipes from Friday night:

Honey Lime Enchiladas
(this recipe is from my neighbor with the same name:)

1.5 lbs. chicken or pork, cooked and shredded

Sauce:
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. lime juice
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder

Mix together sauce ingredients then add to shredded pork or chicken.
Let the sauce soak into the meat for about 30 minutes.

2 (10 oz.) cans green enchilada sauce
Equal parts mixed together of mozzarella cheese, shredded and cheddar cheese,
shredded
flour tortillas

Lightly spray 9x13 pan. Pour half of the enchilada sauce into pan to coat the entire
bottom. Fill tortillas with shredded meat and desired amount of cheese. Roll
and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with
more cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Then turn on the broiler
and place enchiladas close to the top of the oven. Let it broil until the
cheese is slightly brown and crispy.

****The honey lime part is delicious...I don't really enjoy store bought green sauce, but used it here to save time. Everyone seemed to like it...but the next time I make these I will make my roasted tomatillo sauce (not really mine...Tyler Florence's....if you have not made this salsa you must....so freakin' yummy:)...I think it will be perfection with the honey lime.

Black Bean Salsa
(my roommate used to make this all the time and I would chow on it...)

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (with chilies if you want it really mild)
1 can corn, drained
1 green pepper, diced
Italian dressing (to taste...I use about 1/3 to 1/2 the bottle)

I also made homemade salsa and guacamole, but the salsa is a neighbor's secret recipe and I don't feel like it's mine to hand out...but it's GOOD...sorry! And the guacamole is just smashed avocados with lime juice, a few splashes of Tabasco, a palm full of chili powder, 1/4 red onion diced and then scoops of the salsa...I've also used scoops of store bought fresh pico and that works too.

Alright...so what's on the menu this week?

Monday: Dinner at the neighbors (which means eating out)
Tuesday: Leftovers (cause the fridge needs to be emptied)
Wednesday: American Idol kick-off party (menu to be announced)
Thursday: Chicken Alfredo pizza (to use my leftover Alfredo sauce from dinner Sunday)
Friday: Date night (for our anniversary on Sunday)
Saturday: Ward dinner and Youth fundraiser (which means boring spaghetti:(

****Man...that's a sucky meal plan...hope you enjoyed the above recipes 'cause this week ain't giving much:) I'll come up with something fun for the AI party to share next week!


I'm linkin' to meal plan monday.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Mmmm, honey lime. That sounds terrific! I love your little helper he's so cute!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to save these recipes - they sound yummy! Especially the black bean salsa!

Unguren said...

Every thing tasted great. Thanks for having us over.

Tiffany said...

Anything with black beans is good to me.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails